Friday, May 1, 2009

Intro.

As Natorious mentioned I may be throwing out so random shit, but hey whats a good blog without some diversity. Anyway I just wanted to start off my intro to YIKR by sharing a couple of things that I hold close to my heart when it comes to music. I'm a huge sucker for club bangers. Anything with a tight beat and decent lyrics that you can dance to I'm down for. After I find a song I really like, I usually will listen to in constantly for 2 weeks. Slowly though, I am trying to curb my short-term addiction of listening to just that one hit song, by listening to new releases daily. As for music itself the thing I love most is beats. I'd love to be able to make them, and I admire those who produce them. That being said that leads me to my discussion. If you are unaware BET has been airing a nationwide beat competition called Red Bull Big Tunes Beat Battle. Aspiring producers from around the country face off against each other to see who will be crowned best amatuer beat-maker. This documentary/reality miniseries is packed with raw footage showing the blood and sweat that goes into tediously making beats. Most of the artists in the show have decent beats, but nothing really special. However a couple of the them have beats that I'd say come close to rivaling the sounds of the big dogs such as 9th Wonder, Dilla , Black Milk, and Timbaland. That being said keep an eye out for amateur artist C-Sick from Chi-town. The kid is only 17 years old and his beats sound as though he has been in the game for years. He has an aura around him that reminds me a lot of Ryan Leslie. Also the show is a constant reminder to never judge a book by its cover (you will get what I am saying when you see the white boy). Watch the clip and you will understand.



1 comment: